Monday, September 7, 2009

M E T A M O R P H O S I S

Butterflies have been crossing my path a lot lately and when I think about them and what they represent I guess it is no coincidence that I came up with this Metamorphosis piece. A lot of times when I am working on an art piece I find it directly ties into what is on my mind or what I am going through, even if I was not conscious of it at the time I was executing it.


I can't believe it is Labor Day weekend already, where did summer go?!? I must admit I am actually glad summer is gone, I have always been more of a fall person. Growing up in the northwest I loved the crispness of September air and the earthy colors of falling leaves. I loved putting an extra blanket on the bed at night and spending late afternoons in front of a fire drawing or painting. Of course now that I live in the "tropics" September usually marks a season of even hotter, more humid weather. There is no crisp air, there is heavy damp air. There are no falling leaves or a need for extra blankets. There is a need for finding the coolest, most air conditioned theater, book store or restaurant you can find and spending time there, lots of time....

Despite that I still find the fall season a time of renewal. The shifting of energy is palatable and it seems like anything is possible this time of year. I don't know if it is brought on by the seasonal changes or if it is tied into a larger cycle of life (September is my birth month), whatever it is I always find renewed energy and an overwhelming desire to spread my wings and go off in a new direction come September.

This September I have started a new job which I am very excited about. Not only do I get to work with local artists once again I get to help keep the diverse heritage of this community alive, something I think is important for any community. I have a lot of challenges ahead of me but I am energized by all of the possibilities. I really do feel a bit like a butterfly fluttering through the sky.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Fabulous job on metamorphosis! I love the butterflies and all the colors - everything.
What kind of work do you do where you get to work with local artists?